Category One focuses on services necessary to provide connectivity to buildings. Previously eligible services have been eliminated completely or are being phased out.
Digital Transmission Services and Internet Access:
- Broadband over Power Lines
- T-1, T-3, Fractional T-1
- Leased Lit Fiber
- Leased Dark Fiber
- Self-Provisioned Broadband Networks
- Satellite Services
- Wireless Services (e.g. microwave)
Note that eligible costs for leased lit fiber, dark fiber, and self-provisioned networks include monthly charges, special construction, installation and activation charges, modulating electronics, and maintenance and operation charges. Network Equipment and maintenance and operation costs for existing networks are eligible. All equipment and services, including maintenance and operation, must be competitively bid.
E-Rate support will no longer be provided for:
- components of telephone service (such as directory assistance charges, custom calling services, direct inward dialing, and 900/976 call blocking)
- inside wire maintenance plans
- outdated services such as paging
- text messaging or email
- services that may use broadband but do not provide it, including e-mail, voice mail, and web hosting
- applications and content
- equipment such as computers, laptops, tablets, and all other end-user devices
Off-campus use, even if used for an educational purpose, is ineligible for support and must be cost allocated out of any funding request.
Support for voice services is being phased out by subtracting 20 percentage points from an applicant's discount rate each funding year beginning with Funding Year 2015, until the applicant reaches 0% funding support for voice services.
Voice Services Being Phased Out
Voice services being phased out include the following:
- Local and long distance phone service (often referred to as "POTS")
- 800 service
- Radio loop
- Satellite telephone
- Shared telephone service
- ISDN (when dedicated to voice services)
- Wireless telephone service (including cellular voice services)
- Interconnected VOIP
- Circuit capacity dedicated to providing voice services
FY2016: the discounts applicants receive for voice services will be 40 percentage points lower than their discount rates for other eligible services
FY2017: the discounts applicants receive for voice services will be 60 percentage points lower than their discount rates for other eligible services, etc.
The phase down applies to all costs incurred for the provision of telephone services and circuit capacity dedicated to providing voice services.
Category Two eligible services are focused on connectivity to devices within buildings, and will cover only broadband distribution services and equipment.
Category Two funding is subject to a five year pre-discount budget through Funding Year 2019.
LEARN MORE Learn more about Category Two budgets
Broadband Internal Connections
Internal Connections do not include services that extend across a public right-of-way beyond the school or library facility. They must be located at the applicant site and must be necessary to transport information to classrooms or publicly accessible rooms of a library.
Internal connections support is limited to those broadband distribution services and equipment needed to deliver broadband to students and library patrons.
- access points used in a LAN or WLAN
- cabling, connectors, and related components used for internal broadband connections
- caching (including caching service, caching equipment or components, caching servers)
- network switches
- racks that house eligible equipment
- uninterruptable power supply that supports eligible equipment
- wireless LAN controllers
- improvements, upgrades, and software necessary to distribute high-speed broadband throughout school buildings and libraries
- cloud-based functionality of eligible equipment, such as cloud wireless controllers, are eligible.
- licenses for eligible equipment
- software that supports eligible equipment
- taxes, surcharges and other similar reasonable charges
- shipping charges
- training on how to use eligible equipment
- installation and configuration (no longer has to be provided by the equipment vendor)
To focus support on only those internal connections necessary to enable high-speed broadband connectivity, E-Rate support for the following is ineligible:
- circuit cards/components
(exception: servers necessary for caching)
(exception: the software that supports eligible broadband internal connections)
- storage devices
- telephone components
- video components
- voice over IP or video over IP components
- data protection components, such as virtual private networks
(exceptions: firewalls and uninterruptible power supply/battery backup)Basic Maintenance of Eligible Broadband Internal Connections
Basic maintenance services must be for actual work performed and parts repaired or replaced. The components themselves must be eligible for discounts for their associated basic maintenance services to be eligible. Maintenance and technical support is only eligible when provided for eligible broadband internal connections.
- Repair and upkeep of eligible hardware
- Wire and cable maintenance
- Basic technical support
- Configuration changes
Note that many of the services below that are ineligible under BMIC are eligible as Managed Broadband Services.
- Services that maintain ineligible equipment
- Upfront estimates that cover the full cost of every piece of eligible equipment
- Services that enhance the utility of equipment
- Network management services, including 24-hour network monitoring
- On-site technical support
- Unbundled warrantiesManaged Internal Broadband Services
Managed Wi-Fi is eligible under this category.
- Services provided by a third party for the operation, management, and monitoring of eligble broadband internal connections
- Management and operation of the LAN/WLAN, including installation, activation, and initial configuration of eligible components, and on-site training on the use of eligible equipment
- E-Rate support is limited to those expenses or portions of expenses that directly support and are necessary for the broadband connectivity within schools and libraries
- Managed voice service