Making a Plan
The first question to ask yourself is what you need.
- Determine what eligible services you need for Category One Services
- Data Transmission Services and Internet Access
- Voice Services
LEARN MORE Learn more about Category One Services
- Determine what eligible services you need for Category Two Services
- Internal Connections
- Basic Maintenance of Internal Connections
- Managed Internal Broadband Services
LEARN MORE Learn more about Category Two Services
Next, determine what you can afford.
- Get estimates from service providers on the cost of what you think you would need. You are not selecting a provider at this point; you are simply assessing the potential costs.
- Evaluate your school budget to see if you can afford what you need. You should always consider the entire cost (pre E-Rate discount) in your school budget. If you can't afford the full cost, revisit your needs.
- Determine your E-Rate discount rate.
LEARN MORE Learn more about calculating your discount rate
- If you are applying for Category Two products and services, calculate your per-school or per-library E-Rate five year budget.
Although a technology plan is not required for E-Rate as of Funding Year 2015, your planned E-Rate supported services and products should align with your required Maine state technology plan. Develop a plan that supports what you want and need to do, and what you can afford to do.