MaineREN is a facilities-based Regional Optical Network (RON) servicing Maine’s Research & Education community.
MaineREN was created by the University of Maine System to deliver the cyberinfrastructure necessary to participate in, and be considered for, high-technology research. As the National Science Foundation has made the ability to demonstrate appropriate levels of Cyberinfrastructure a requirement for funding, it is crucial for Maine’s ability to attract and retain this high-technology research that our institutions have access to the national and international R&E community though a facilities-based RON.
This effort is similar to other regional networks throughout the United States.
Here is a listing of some of the institutions that are connected through MaineREN.
- Bates College
- Bowdoin College
- Colby College
- College of the Atlantic
- Maine Maritime Academy
- Thomas College
- Unity College
- University of Maine
- University of Maine at Augusta
- University of Maine at Farmington
- University of Maine at Fort Kent
- University of Maine at Machias
- University of Maine at Presque Isle
- University of Southern Maine
- The Jackson Laboratory
- Mount Desert Island Biological Laboratory
- DownEast Institute
- Bigelow Laboratory for Ocean Sciences
Maine School and Library Network
- 99% of Maine’s K12 schools
- Majority of Maine’s public libraries
- Maine Public
- State of Maine Government
- Town of Bar Harbor
- City of Ellsworth
- Town of Farmington
- Town of Orono
- City of Waterville
- Hancock County